Land Transfer Tax Refund for First-Time Homebuyers in Ontario
Grant from Government of Ontario, Canada to First time home buyers
I am a first time home buyer in Ontario Canada BUT this is not a NEW home, this is Resale/used or old home , will I still get some Grant from Government ?
Land Transfer Tax Refund for First-Time Home Buyers in Ontario, Canada
First-time homebuyers may be eligible for a refund of all or part of the tax.
- For agreements of purchase and sale entered into before December 14, 2007, the refund only applies on the purchase of a newly constructed home.
- For agreements of purchase and sale entered into after December 13, 2007, the refund applies to all homes, whether newly constructed or resale.
How much is the Refund?
The maximum amount of the refund is $2,000. If the refund is claimed at time of registration, it may offset the land transfer tax ordinarily payable. If not claimed at registration, the refund may be claimed directly from the Ministry of Revenue. No interest is paid on this refund.
To claim a refund, you:
- must be at least 18 years of age;
- must occupy the home as your principal residence within 9 months of after the date of transfer; and
- cannot have owned a home, or an interest in a home, anywhere in the world.
- your spouse cannot have owned a home, or an interest in a home, anywhere in the world while being your spouse; and in the case of a newly constructed home, you must be entitled to a Tarion New Home Warranty.
How Do I Apply?
Qualifying taxpayers may claim an immediate refund at time of registration in one of two ways:
- If registering electronically, by completing the required statements under the “explanation” tab of the electronic affidavit.
- If registering on paper, by filing an Ontario Land Transfer Tax Refund Affidavit For First-Time Purchasers of Eligible Homes at the Land Registry Office.
What is the application deadline?
- Applications for a refund must be made within 18 months after the date of the transfer.
If application was not made at registration and the tax was paid, qualified purchasers may apply for a refund by completing an Ontario Land Transfer Tax Refund Affidavit For First-Time Purchasers of Eligible Homes and send it to the ministry.
For full details on the refund program, please see Ontario Tax Bulletin LTT 1-2008 Land Transfer Tax Refunds for First-Time Homebuyers.